Case Study: This carbon-composite orthopedic table met the rigidity and minimal flex requirements of an advanced Hip Distraction System
Here's a case of how we used composites to solve a medical application through a collaborative effort between our Composite Resources team and our client.
For this project, our team was tasked with developing lightweight components for carbon composite orthopedic tables, supporting an advanced Hip Distraction System.
The client required a smooth cosmetic finish along with precision stiffness and stability… and in turn requiring a high level of precision for the design and parts assembly. Our Composite Resources team was able to deliver on all counts.
- Carbon fiber was the material of choice for these components because its fatigue resistance, stiffness and strength made it preferable to more traditional metals.
- We created a rigid, lightweight support structure that provides maximum rigidity and minimal flex. This both reduces weight and ensures that distraction forces are not lost within the system.
- The product has tooled outer and inner surfaces to consistently hold tight tolerances required for this application.
Customer supplied Composite Resources with 3D CAD models.
- CNC Ply Cutting
- Prepreg Layup
- Trapped Rubber Molding Process
- Out of Autoclave Cured
- Adhesive Bonding of Assembly
- Post Assembly CNC Machining
- CMM Quality Inspection
We were able to meet all client specifications, reduced the overall weight of the orthopedic tables considerably, and were able to move from prototyping to full-scale production in a matter of months — necessary for complying with the client’s rapid-launch timeline.
This orthopedic spar is just one example of what our team can do. Consider how this approach could support an advanced carbon composite surgical table, for example.
Request a no-cost consultation on our custom composites for medical applications:
(803) 366-9700 or firstname.lastname@example.org